…we are looking at the convergence of a group of dangerous & interlocking global problems - ecological constraints, fossil fuel depletion, and overpopulation

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

About Me

I'm not a doomer, but I admit I am a bit worried about things, in particular about the peak oil predicament. As a professional engineer I'm pretty good with numbers, and I strive to view the forest more clearly than the trees. In other words, I tend to be interested in getting a grasp of the 'big picture'.

My extra-curricular interests probably reveal something about me as well. For instance, I've taken part in some straw bale building projects, I've been involved with an emerging cohousing group, and I have volunteered on organic farms (on my vacation). I guess you could say there's a certain greenish hue glowing among my true colours.

What prompted me to start this study circle? Well, I've been involved with a local simplicity circle for the past couple of years and I've enjoyed the format so much that it got me researching about launching a similar format to try to engage people in my neighbourhood and community. My motivation? I'm hoping to find a way to get more people around me thinking, talking and learning to listen to others about major issues that affect our lives, such as the issue of our economy and what can we do about it.

I have a side interest in something called Open Space Technology. I won’t get into the details here, but I will note the first two principles of OST philosophy that I feel should be relevant for this study circle as well:

  • Whoever comes are the right people
  • Whatever happens is the only thing that could have

I'll consider this study circle session a bit of a pilot project and we'll see what happens with it! Folks with a range of opinions are welcome.

Session Prep Materials - Crash Course Videos

Here is the first sample of Chris Martenson's Crash Course Videos(length 6:01). Once a study circle is scheduled I will post discussion questions here as well.